In fact, I plan to
I’m don’t know when, but Exotics Racing Las Vegas is already locked in for my next visit to Sin City. The opportunity to drive some of the fastest, most enviable and sports cars on the planet is something you simply must try at least once (or twice 😉 ) in a lifetime.
Having always had a love for exotic sports cars, I’ve often considered hiring one. Having the opportunity to sample some of these incredible machines on a race track however, doesn’t come around that often.
Situated only 15 minutes by car from the Las Vegas Strip, it’s very ease to get to as well.
I want to drive that one, and that one…and that one too…
Selecting my driving experience was like being a kid in a candy store. Barely restraining my selection to only three cars – the Nissan GTR, Ferrari 458 Italia and the Lamborghini Huracan – I opted for the minimum 5 laps in each.
But can I handle such powerful cars?
If you hold a valid driver’s license and are over 18 – you bet! The team at Exotics Racing Las Vegas are professional drivers. They know that you and I, who have likely had next to no experience with exotic sports cars, are not. What they also know is how to help you get the most from these machines around a track safely. And to ensure you have a lot of fun doing it.
The first step of your day is a short, yet highly informative information session covering the basics of performance driving, procedures to follow on the track and the ideal racing lines for the circuit. After collecting your helmet, it’s time to meet your weapon/s of choice.
To the Track!
First up for me was the achingly beautiful Ferrari 458 Italia. That distinctive primal growl of that V8 powerhouse, sun slowly setting over the rocky outcrops lining Las Vegas – the scene was set. I strapped myself into the surprising snug bucket seat, got the final words of encouragement from my co-pilot and was off!
As you might have guessed by now, you have an instructor sitting next to you the whole time you’re out on the track. Their job is to help you get the most out of your experience and make sure you stay safe while doing it. Normally there are other cars on the track with you, but you don’t have to worry. Your trusty co-pilot, aka instructor, will let you know when you have to slow down or when it’s safe to overtake. They even have their own brake pedal should it all start getting just a bit too hairy.
The track itself is a great little piece of tarmac. The corners vary in difficulty with nothing overly complicated. Yet, there are enough hairpins and chicanes to keep any racing fan happy. To get a real sense of the track and the on-board instructions provided, check out the video of my last two laps in the magnificent Lamborghini Huracan at the end of this page – you won’t be disappointed!
How fast will I go?
Has to be one of the most common questions asked. Typically the guys there see around 160 to 170km/h from the average driver. If you are really pushing, expect to hit closer to 190 km/h! Translating for my imperial unit loving friends, that’s approximately 100 to 105mp/h and 120mp/h respectively.
The hardest part…
What can I say? Getting in those cars, on that track, I left a very happy man. Yet at the same time, a very sad man…
The instructors were fantastic. They were friendly, encouraged me to push my limits when I reached them yet reined me in when I started to push just that bit too hard. They gave me expert advice, coaching me to get the most from whichever car I was in, all while sharing a laugh and a great afternoon with a fellow car lover.
Before I knew it, my 15 laps were up…it’s true what they say, about time flying when you are having fun. There are few times I have felt this as strongly as I what I have at Exotics Racing Las Vegas. That’s what makes saying good bye and the end of your session truly the hardest.
Would I change anything about my day?
My day was good. Really good in fact. But given the opportunity, yes there are a few things I would change which would have made my fantastic day a perfect day.
- Choose more laps over more cars. 5 laps in one car is not enough time to become familiar with it. The more familiar you are, the harder you can push and the more fun you will have. If you have the choice, I can’t recommend this enough.
- Book an earlier time slot. My drive was the late 4pm session in the winter month of December. I had real problems seeing at some corners because of the setting sun.
- Take up any on-the-day offers. From time to time, they do offer special offers for extra laps or additional cars at reduced prices on the day. As soon as I was told my last 5 laps were up, I instantly regretted my not taking up the offer of an extra lap…
- Pay the extra money for your on board footage. Ok, so I did do this. But I nearly didn’t. Yes, it is rather over priced for a bit of data and a memory stick. But as far as memories go, it is worth every penny!
And if I feel like a hot lap around the circuit?
Exotics racing has you covered there too with their acclaimed Ride-Along experience. I didn’t try this myself but my cousin sure did.
Driven around the track by a professional driver is one thrill ride not to be missed. Choose from either the insane and very sideways drifting session in a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat or experience flat-out speed in your choice of available supercars. It’ll be a ride you won’t be forgetting anytime soon.
At the end of the day
My on-board experience really sums up the Exotics Racing Las Vegas for me. From excitedly arriving to rather sadly leaving, you feel the professionalism and pride from every staff member. Yet, at the same time you can’t help but feel the energy in the air of people who love their job, love cars and most importantly, love helping every smiling face that comes through that door have an incredible, adrenaline charged experience they won’t soon forget.
If you love cars, love driving fast and want an experience that will stay with you for many years come, go see what all the fuss is about at Exotics Racing Las Vegas!
If you are interested in booking a high performance experience
There are few points to keep in mind.
- This will not be a cheap day. But thankfully Exotics Racing Las Vegas has an extensive range of tailoring options to build a package ranging from ‘affordable’ to ‘that got expensive really quick’.
- At the time of writing, you can get onto to the track for 5 laps in a Porsche Cayman GTS for $199USD. For something like the Lamborghini Aventador, you’ll be looking at $499USD. Additional laps cost extra depending on the car. Multiple car and VIP experiences are of course also available.
- Insurance for the cars it is included in the price. However you do have to sign a liability waiver for your own personal safety. Again, please check with your travel insurance company to check the extent of their coverage in the unlikely event of an accident.
- Please see the Exotics Racing website for full information and details
Don’t forget, should you have any questions at all the friendly staff at Exotics Racing will be more than happy to help.
Happy driving 🙂